i’ll just use soap, thanks!

Posted: 03/15/2009 in health

have you all seen this??? it’s kinda a big deal. 

Warning for Children re: Hand Sanitizers!     

Please pass this on to everyone you know (parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles, etc.)… 
      
This story has been verified at Snopes.com – See:  http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/sanitizer.asp 

Yesterday, my youngest daughter, Halle, who is 4, was rushed to the emergency room by her father for being severely lethargic and incoherent.  He was called
to her school by the school secretary for being ‘very, VERY sick.’ He told me that when he arrived, Halle was barely sitting in the chair. She couldn’t hold her own head up and when he looked into her eyes, she couldn’t focus them.  He immediately scooped her up and rushed her to the ER, and then called me. 

When we got to the ER, they ran blood test after blood test and did x-rays, every test imaginable. Her white blood cell count was normal, nothing was out of the ordinary. The ER doctor told us that he had done everything that he could do so he was sending her to Saint Francis for further tests. Right when we were leaving in the ambulance, her teacher came to the ER and, after questioning Halle’s classmates, we found out that she had licked hand sanitizer off her hand. 

Hand sanitizer of all things! But it makes sense. These days 
they have all kinds of different scents and when you have a curious child,
they are going to put all kinds of things into their mouths.   

When we arrived at Saint Francis, we told the ER doctor there 
to check her blood alcohol level, and yes we did get weird looks, but they 
did it. The results showed her blood alcohol level was 85% —  six 
hours after we first took her. There’s no telling what it would have been 
if we would have requested it at the first ER. 

Since then, her school and a few surrounding schools have taken this out of the classrooms of all the lower grade classes, but what’s to stop middle and high schooler’s from ingesting the stuff?   

After doing research on the Internet, we have found out that it only takes 3 squirts of the stuff to be fatal in a toddler! 

For her blood alcohol level to be so high was to compare someone her size to drinking something 120 proof. So please PLEASE don’t disregard this because I don’t ever want anyone else to go through what my family and I have gone through. Please send this to everyone you know who has children or are going to be having children. It doesn’t matter what age. 

Advertisements
Comments
  1. jenifriend says:

    WHAT?! this is insane!! i know what i’ll be keeping away from my babies!!

  2. Traci says:

    That’s sad and scary! We ditched that stuff a long time ago, if we need to we just use wipes to clean our hands…even if it doesn’t clean 100% better than nothing. And umm Jaz ate some of Auntie Heather’s bathroom soap last summer. It smelled too good, I guess 🙂 She threw up immed. after realizing it wasn’t as tasty as it smells. She learned a lesson for sure.

  3. breanna says:

    there is a lot of alcohol in it. unreal to me that just by using it and then putting a piece of food in your child’s mouth is an outrageous amount of alcohol! yikes!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s